With the release of the MPC 2.1 update, users get all new features and improvements like the ability to export expansion packs to an MPC X or Live, improved MIDI sync, and new display drivers for the MPC Touch. In this guide, we'll walk through downloading and installing this latest update for the MPC 2.0 desktop software.
- Before you update...
- Downloading the Update
- Installing the Update
- MPC Touch Display Drivers
- Further Technical Support
Before you update...
Before making the jump to MPC 2.1, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Projects created in the MPC 2.1 software will not be compatible with earlier versions of the software.
- Owners of an MPC Live or MPC X will also need to perform the MPC 2.1 firmware update for compatibility with new features like the expansion export and progressions features. See our guide here for instructions on updating your MPC X or MPC Live.
- A new DisplayLink Driver is included in this update to provide MPC Touch display compatibility with macOS 10.13.1 and macOS 10.13.2. MPC Touch users should download the complete MPC 2.1 software package from their account page to obtain the latest DisplayLink Drivers for the MPC Touch display.
For a comprehensive list of new features and improvements, please see the complete release notes here.
Downloading the Update
If you already have the MPC 2.0 software installed, the easiest way to download is to open the software. As long as your computer is connected to the internet, you will receive a notification about the 2.1 update and the option to download.
If you do not already have the MPC 2.0 software installed, or your computer is not connected to the internet*, use your Akai Pro account to download the latest MPC 2.1 software package.
- Create and/or log in to your Akai Pro account.
- If you have not already registered your MPC, select Register My Product and register your MPC X, Live, or Touch. Be sure to include the "(21)" with the parentheses when entering the serial number.
- On your account page, click on the Included Software drop-down menu below your registered MPC.
- Click on the Mac or PC version of the installer package to begin the download.
* Internet access will be required to download the latest MPC update
**If you purchased the software with an MPC Renaissance/Studio or received an update with your MPC Studio Black, you can also download the latest update by visiting your Fastspring account using the email used at purchase. Click here to access your account.
Installing the Update
- Once the software package is downloaded, find and run the installer. This should be in your downloads folder.
For Windows users, be sure to unzip the folder first and run the Install MPC file to run the installer.
- Click the MPC icon.
- Click Update MPC Software. Keep in mind, this will replace the older version of MPC on your computer, but this will not replace or delete any of your projects, programs, tracks or samples.
- Follow the installer instructions. Be sure to choose which plugin components of MPC to install and where when prompted (Windows only).
You'll need to know this location to use MPC as a plugin in your DAW. If you're unsure, we recommend installing every component to its default location.
- Once the installation is finished, you're ready to use MPC!
If you're an MPC Touch user on macOS 10.13.1 and macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra), please make sure to follow the instructions below to install the latest display link drivers before opening MPC 2.1.
MPC Touch Display Drivers
The MPC 2.1 update package also includes the latest DisplayLink Drivers to provide display support for the MPC Touch with macOS 10.13.1 and macOS 10.13.2.
This DisplayLink update will only be necessary for MPC Touch owners using macOS 10.11.x, macOS 10.12.x, macOS 10.13.1, and macOS 10.13.2.
- To install the latest display link driver, run the MPC 2.1 package installer and click on the image of the MPC Touch.
- Choose Install Display Driver from the menu and follow the instructions to install. Restart the computer to complete the installation.
- Once the computer has been restarted, re-run the package installer, click on the MPC Touch and select Configure Screen from the menu.
- Follow the instructions to sync the display with your computer. If you still have trouble getting the display to connect, restart the computer one more time and this should resolve the issue.
Once the display connects, you're ready to open MPC!
Further Technical Support
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Akai technical support team is available to help! Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.