Rate this article
Article updated 06-27-2017
Article updated October 8, 2013
The Firmware Updater application allows you to easily update the Firmware on your MPC Renaissance or Studio hardware. This application is available for both Windows and Mac OSX computers. This article provides a step-by-step walkthrough of installing an update.
- Before you begin
- Preparing for the Update
- Performing the Update
- Additional Resources
- Further Product Support
Before you begin
- Make sure you have installed the latest MPC hardware drivers, and confirm that your MPC Hardware can connect to the computer and can successfully communicate with the MPC software.
The MPC Renaissance and Studio require drivers to connect to the computer. If the hardware drivers aren't properly installed or up-to-date, it will not be possible to update the firmware. To install the latest drivers, perform the following:
- Visit the product page for your MPC, and download the most current software available.
MPC Renaissance Software Download Page
MPC Studio Software Download Page
- The installer will give you the option to reinstall the hardware drivers for your product. Run the installer, and reinstall the hardware drivers.
- Confirm that your MPC Hardware can connect to the computer and can successfully communicate with the MPC software.
- Check to see if a firmware update is available for your MPC hardware.
With your MPC Hardware connected to your computer, launch the MPC software. If a firmware update is available for your hardware, you will be presented with a notice indicating your MPC hardware is not running the latest firmware version, along with a link to the firmware update download page.
If a firmware update is available for your MPC hardware, download the firmware update files for your specific MPC hardware and computer platform. This includes the updater application and an update file.
Important: The Akai MPC Firmware Updater application was updated on October 8, 2013. The download includes the same firmware file as initially released on October 2, along with an improved MPC Firmware Updater application that makes it easier for the update to be successfully installed. Customers who have already updated the firmware on their MPC hardware do not need to update it again or reinstall.
Note: Installing or re-installing MPC firmware is not a troubleshooting measure, and is only recommended when the MPC software has displayed the notice described above.
The download is provided in a .zip archive format. Extract all files contained in the downloaded .zip file to the same folder or directory on your computer.
Preparing for the update
- Disconnect any 5-Pin MIDI cables connected to the MPC’s inputs or outputs.
- Disconnect any other USB MIDI or USB Audio devices which are connected to your computer.
- Exit any applications on your computer which might be running, including the MPC software.
- Connect the MPC hardware to a rear USB port on your computer using a USB cable, and then power on the MPC hardware.
The above steps will ensure that the MPC only receives data from the Updater application.
Performing the update
- Make sure you have performed the procedure in the Prepare for the Update section above.
- With the MPC connected to your computer via USB, and powered on, double-click and run the MPC Update application.
- Click the Update Now button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- If the update does not succeed, ensure you have performed each step of Prepare for the Update section above, then repeat steps 1-4 in this section. For further assistance, please contact us!
You can find a number of additional articles and videos in our knowledge base:
Further Product Support
The Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.